Sunday 5 September 2010

Beetroot Curry

Here I am again taking part in another food blog event.

Healing Foods was started by Siri of Siri's Corner. This month, its hosted by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes, the topic being "Beetroot".


When I was a kid, I never liked the "look" of beets. But once I had Beetroot Pulusu and I was hooked onto it after that. When came to the UK, I couldn't find the beets in the supermarkets. I got the pre-cooked and preserved varieties. But not the raw type.

Some one told us about this new Asian shop. I was so excited when I saw the raw beets there. I had to get them and cook. From then, I kept getting beets every now and then.


Ingredients:
1 Kg beetroot - peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces.
2 big onions - chopped finely
5 tbsp chopped tomato
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
10 to 15 curry leaves
salt to taste

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds.
  2. When they pop, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
  3. Then add the curry leaves and fry for 1 min.
  4. Now add the onions and fry till they turn brown.
  5. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears
  6. Add the chopped tomato and fry till the curry comes together.
  7. Now add the raw spices (Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder) and salt and mix well.
  8. Add the beets and 1/2 cup water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles or till the beetroot is done.
  9. If needed, boil uncovered to get the consistency required.

1 comment:

  1. Swetha, glad to visit your blog :)

    great collection, yes, dear 300 pixel is fine for the picture attachment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking out time to leave your comments...