Healing Foods was started by Siri of Siri's Corner. This month, its hosted by Divya of Dil Se, the topic being "Spinach".
I like spinach and am glad even my one and half year old son likes it too (atleast he doesn't say no to it).
I am sure many people make Palak Dal in a lot of different ways. Here's my take on it:
300gms Frozen chopped spinach
1 cup toor dal - washed
1 medium sized onion - sliced
5 green chillies - slit length wise
1 tomato - chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garlic paste
lime sized tamarind soaked in water and deseeded.
For the tadka (popu / tiragamata):
2 red chillies
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi / mentulu)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
few curry leaves
2 tbsp vegetable / sunflower oil
- Pressure cook spinach, toor dal, 3/4 of the onion, green chillies and turmeric powder with 3 cups of water for about 3 whistles (till the toor dal is done). You can blend it if you want it really smooth. I prefer not to.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and break the red chillies. Add the fenugreek seeds and fry for 30 seconds. Now add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the garlic paste and fry for 30 seconds - taking care it doesn't burn.
- Now add the rest of the onion and fry till it starts turning brown. Then add the tomato and cook till its done.
- Add the tamarind paste and bring to a boil.
- Add this to the pressure cooker and add the salt.
- Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.